The Gift of The Book To Mankind - A mural by Artist Ernest Kasas
The Mural: The mural on the back wall over the Reference Desk at the Pastrick Branch was painted by Ernest Kasas of Indiana Harbor (East Chicago), as a WPA (The Works Progress Administration) Arts Project.
It was completed May 1934, was unveiled on January 24, 1935. The Hungarian Consul in Chicago and Frank V. Dudley, noted Dunes artist were present at the unveiling. The Title: "The Gift Of The Book To Mankind."
The central figure is represented as awarding the public branch, typing success, to those who have made a wise use of books and reading.
The painter and radio announcer in the mural is Ernest Kasas and the man with the beard is his father. Other models were students from high school. The size of the mural is 36 x 64 long.